Young Artists’ Competition
Symphony on the Bay is excited to announce its 2017 competition for Young Artists. The annual competition is part of the Symphony’s ongoing efforts to connect with and provide opportunities for young musicians in our community. The winners of the Young Artists’ Competition are invited to perform with the orchestra during the upcoming season. The 2017 competition will select two outstanding competitors, one junior and one senior, to perform as soloists with the orchestra at a concert in our 2017-2018 season (mutually agreed by you and the Music Director – Choice of December, February or May).
- Click here to see the complete list of winners from 1991 to the present.
- Click here to see the bios of recent winners, from 2013 to the present.
Young Artists’ Competition 2017
To provide an opportunity for young area musicians to perform as a soloist with orchestra.
Two winners, one junior and one senior, will perform as soloists with the orchestra at a scheduled concert during the 2017-2018 season. Each winner will also receive a $200 bursary.
- The competition is open to orchestral instruments (woodwind, brass, percussion, and strings), harp, piano, and voice.
- Senior instrumental contestants must be no older than 26 years of age as of August 31, 2017, and junior instrumental contestants no older than 15 as of August 31, 2017; senior vocal contestants no older than 29 and junior vocal contestants no older than 18 as of August 31, 2017. Contestants will be judged according to their age, and one junior and one senior winner will be chosen to perform with the orchestra.
- Contestants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or have studied with a Canadian teacher in Canada for at least two years.
- Contestants must reside or study or have resided in Ontario, Canada.
- Contestants must be recommended by their teachers.
Music Selection Requirements
The contestant must select one or more movements of a concerto, or a one-movement composition originally composed for their instrument or voice and orchestra. The orchestral accompaniment must be readily available in print (subject to approval by the symphony librarian) and the total performance time should not exceed 15 minutes in length.
There is a non-refundable application fee of $30.00.
Contestants must submit an application form and fee along with a recording of themselves playing the selected music with piano accompaniment. The recording may be submitted on CD or other digital media such as a USB drive or SD card, or may be provided as a link to online media. Recordings will not be identified when audited by the judges. The finalists and their accompanists will be invited to perform before a panel of judges on Saturday, October 28, 2017, in Burlington, Ontario. Physical media will only be returned if a stamped self-addressed envelope is included with the application. Candidates will be notified by October 17, 2017 if an audition is awarded.
Your completed application form and fee plus recording must be received at the address below by 5:00 pm on Friday, October 6, 2017.
Download the 2017 YAC Application Form (PDF).
For More Information
Symphony on the Bay
1100 Burloak Drive, Suite 300
Canada L7L 6B2