Young Artists’ Competition
Symphony on the Bay is excited to announce our call for submissions for the 2018/2019 Young Artists‘ Competition.
As you can appreciate, achieving strong musical abilities comes from years of hard work and support from teachers and the community.
Symphony on the Bay supports and encourages promising young artists of Halton and the surrounding areas by allowing them the chance to perform as a soloist with a live symphony orchestra. We believe in the encouragement and cultivation of the next generation of musicians. We want to promote the art of classical music and add to the diversity of opportunity within the community. We would like to give as many young people as possible an opportunity to try out for this rewarding experience.
The 2018/2019 competition will select two outstanding competitors, one junior and one senior, to perform as soloists with the orchestra at the May 12, 2019 American Proms concert in our 2018-2019 season.
Our Past Winners
- Click here to see the complete list of winners from 1991 to the present.
- Click here to see the bios of recent winners, from 2013 to the present.
Young Artists’ Competition 2018/2019
To provide an opportunity for young area musicians to perform as a soloist with orchestra.
Two winners, one junior and one senior, will perform as soloists with the orchestra at a scheduled concert during the 2018/2019 season. Each winner will also receive a $200 bursary.
- The competition is open to orchestral instruments (woodwind, brass, percussion, and strings), harp, piano, and voice.
- Senior instrumental contestants must be no older than 26 years of age as of August 31, 2018, and junior instrumental contestants no older than 15 as of August 31, 2018; senior vocal contestants no older than 29 and junior vocal contestants no older than 18 as of August 31, 2018. Contestants will be judged according to their age, and one junior and one senior winner will be chosen to perform with the orchestra.
- Contestants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or have studied with a Canadian teacher in Canada for at least two years.
- Contestants must reside or study or have resided in Ontario, Canada.
- Contestants must be recommended by their teachers.
Music Selection Requirements
Please apply with the piece you wish to perform with the orchestra if selected. The applicant must select one or more movements of a concerto, or a one-movement composition originally composed for their instrument or voice and orchestra.The orchestral accompaniment must be readily available in print (subject to approval by the symphony librarian) and the total performance time should not exceed 15 minutes in length.
Click on this link to complete and submit the application form online through Google docs. Please note that you must have a gmail account to access this form; if you do not already have a gmail account there is no charge to create one.
Your completed application form and fee plus recording must be received at the address below by 5:00 pm on Friday, January 11, 2019.
Applicants must submit the application form and fee along with a recording of themselves playing the selected music with piano accompaniment. (Accompaniment is not required if the applicant is a pianist.) The recording may be submitted on CD or other digital media such as a USB drive or SD card, but a link to online media is preferred. Recordings will not be identified when audited by the judges. Finalists will be notified on Sunday, January 27, 2019 if an audition is awarded. The finalists and their accompanists will be invited to perform before a panel of judges between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm on Saturday, February 2, 2019, at a location to be announced in Burlington, Ontario. Physical media will be returned if a stamped self-addressed envelope is included with the application. Winners will be notified by the co-ordinator on Monday, February 25, 2019.
For More Information
Symphony on the Bay
1100 Burloak Drive, Suite 300
Canada L7L 6B2
Page and form updated 2018-10-13.