Symphony on the Bay (SOTB) is currently in its 43nd season. The name of the orchestra reflects our connection to both the Hamilton and Burlington communities. SOTB is a community orchestra comprised of professional players, semi-professional and amateur players. We perform six concerts per year, mostly in the Burlington Performing Arts Centre. This schedule includes a four-concert subscription series, a concerto concert featuring local young artists and a Canada Day concert at the Burlington waterfront.
SOTB is governed by a Board of Directors and led by our Music Director, Claudio Vena. The Manager, Orchestra Operations reports to the Board and, as such, may be required to attend Board meetings when appropriate. We also have a librarian, personnel manager, equipment manager and several volunteer committees. Please visit www.symphonyonthebay.ca for more details.
The successful candidate will demonstrate skill and experience in the following areas:
• Contract Negotiations. Includes negotiation of fees for venues and performing guest artists for approval by the Board of Directors.
• Sales and Marketing. Includes production of web marketing, media communications, concert press releases and coordination of interviews with local media. Promoting sales, receiving and processing ticket orders in cooperation with the Burlington Performing Arts Centre and accounting for both. Recommending sales promotions to meet concert sales targets.
• Communications. Developing and maintaining personal relationships with Symphony on the Bay member, donors, subscribers and supporters. Developing and growing relationships with key community patrons and advocates. Designing and managing community outreach programs.
• Administration. Production of programs and brochures, including coordinating with graphic designers and printers.
Key Attributes and skills:
• Enthusiasm for the Arts
• Able to work to tight deadlines
• Flexible – able to adapt to changing priorities and available outside core business hours for rehearsals and performances
• Attention to detail
• Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors
This is a contract position. The contract will run to coincide with the fiscal year of the Symphony ending July 31, 2017 with opportunity for annual renewal for subsequent years. Proposed start date to be August – negotiable at time of interview. Symphony on the Bay thanks all candidates for their application. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Qualified individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references to SOTB’s director of development, Milan Sanader, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is July 8, 2016.